Now that it’s officially fall, we’re loving all of the autumn flavored recipes! We decided to cater to our non-pumpkin spice loving friends and make a different fall favorite - Lasagna! You can find the full instructions for this recipe on http://juliasalbum.com, but we’ve condensed the instructions and tweaked the recipe a little to make it even more flavorful!
What You’ll Need:
Butternut Squash Filling
2 cups butternut squash puree
1 cup ricotta cheese
½ cup milk
¼ + ⅛ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup cooked spinach
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ teaspoon salt
Pepper, to taste
10 oz lasagna noodles, cooked
1 and ½ cups mozzarella cheese
½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Butternut squash filling: For this filling, you will need to have pre-cooked butternut squash puree. Using food processor, combine 2 cups of butternut squash puree with Ricotta cheese, milk, salt and nutmeg. Add more milk if needed (to make the butternut squash filling very creamy). Mix very well, taste and add more salt, if needed.
*note - after making this recipe, we would recommend adding more seasoning than you think you’ll need. We’d even suggest throwing some black pepper and italian seasoning in with your butternut squash mixture.
- Spinach filling: Combine spinach, Ricotta cheese, mozzarella, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix, taste, and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
*optional - add some pre-cooked chicken to your spinach filling for extra protein!
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package instructions. Rinse with cold water, drain.
- Lasagna assembly: Prepare a baking dish - use a casserole dish roughly 11 inches x 8.5 inches x 3 inches deep. Grease the lasagna dish lightly with olive oil spray, or your choice of non-stick spray. Spread 1/3 of butternut squash filling on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle lightly with mozzarella cheese. Top with cooked lasagna noodles without overlapping the noodles.
- Spread half of spinach filling over the noodles. Top lightly with Mozzarella cheese. Top with cooked noodles.
- Spread another layer (1/3) of butternut squash mixture, then sprinkle lightly with Mozzarella cheese. Top with cooked noodles.
- Spread the remaining half of spinach filling over the noodles. Top lightly with Mozzarella cheese. Top with the final layer of cooked noodles.
- Spread a generous amount of butternut squash filling (the remaining 1/3) over this final layer of noodles, sprinkle with grated Parmesan and remaining mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 cup of mozzarella). Generously sprinkle the cheese with Italian seasoning, paprika, basil.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool, and enjoy!
Voila! You have a delicious fall meal that doesn’t include a pumpkin! We had a couple minor changes/suggestions to the recipe outlined in the instructions, but overall we would definitely make it again! We’d also suggest trying out different cheeses, or a mixture of different cheeses, to play with the flavors even more!
Do you have a favorite fall recipe? Share it below!