The last couple of months of summer are here which means the kids might be dreading the back to school days. Are you running out of ways to keep them entertained? Here are four simple, fun, and FREE ways to keep your child entertained without them using any form of screen or electronic device!
- Create SLIME!
The craft sensation that swept the nation! Children everywhere are loving this quick and entertaining craft. Your kids will be entertained for hours by making and playing with some slime! We have found a great recipe (literally) for success to keep your kids playing all day!
- In one bowl mix 1 oz. glue (about ¼ of the glue bottle) and ¼ cup water. If you want colored slime, add food coloring to the glue and water mixture. Lift some of the solution out of the container with the stir stick and note what happens.
- Add ¼ cup of Sodium Tetraborate (Borax) Solution to the glue and water mixture and stir slowly.
- The slime will begin to form immediately. Lift some of the solution with the stir stick and observe how the consistency has changed from Step 1.
- Stir as much as you can, then dig in and knead it with your hands until it gets less sticky. This is a messy experience but is necessary because it
allows the two compounds to bond completely. Don’t worry about any
leftover water in the bowl; just pour it out.
- When not in use, store the slime in a plastic bag in the fridge to keep it
from growing mold.
- Design a fun scavenger hunt
Have a blast designing a scavenger hunt that leads to all sorts of prizes and goodies! TheSpruce.com is an excellent source for all things involved in making your home the best place to be! Here, they provide many great tips on various ways to entertain your children. If you are short on clues, head to the link below for some ideas!
- Build a fort
Everyone loves a fun ‘ol fashioned fortnight! This is an exciting and educative way to get the kids involved in skill-building and problem-solving. It is also rewarding for them because they get a super fun fort at the end! Gather up all those old blankets and pillows, chairs and cardboard boxes and build a fort that the kids will never want to take down!
- Have a DIY craft day
For the days where you want to let your kids run wild with imagination, crafting is the perfect solution! We have compiled a few websites full of fun and easy DIY projects you can do at home with the kids. This is a great way to keep them busy with fun and entertainment while you can bond and spend time together!
Just because summer is coming to an end that doesn’t mean that the fun must end! There are still many fun days ahead and we hope you can take advantage of the last few months of summer and have a blast with these activities!